Menu

GCSE Physical Education

GCSE Physical Education is a demanding yet fun course to participate in, as it combines both practical and theory elements.

The practical element is 40% of the overall grade and can be delivered through the student undertaking 3 different sports and a Personal Exercise Plan.  The other 60% is based on the theory that underpins sport, such as Anatomy, Physiology and Psychology.

There are 2 terminal examinations that are sat at the end of Year 11.  Students will need to revise for these examinations; this is ongoing throughout, as there are a series of tests and mock papers to ensure progress is on track.

Assessment

Unit 1 - Theory of PE – 60%

The two examination papers cover different topics.  Paper 1 covers Fitness and Body Systems which relate to Anatomy and Physiology, Movement Analysis and Physical Training.  Paper 2 covers Health and Performance which relate to Health, Fitness and Well-being, Sport Psychology and Socio-cultural influences. 

Unit 2 - Practical PE – 40%

Students can do up to 3 sports, each worth 10% of the final mark.  A Personal Exercise Plan (PEP) is worth 10% of the final grade.  Students will be assessed in an individual activity as well as a team activity and then have a choice about which other sport they do.

Why study Physical Education?

This course is an excellent starting point for a career in the Sports and Leisure industry. Many ex-students have become sports coaches or personal trainers, as well as gym instructors.  It has led students onto A Level study in Sport and the further degree courses in Sports Science, Sports Medicine, Physiotherapy, Sports Psychology, Biomechanical Analysis and even PE teaching.

Year 9

In Year 9, students will analyse 6 sports in detail to help develop their knowledge and skills needed over the course, whilst at the same time starting to look at the theory behind their sporting performance and how exercise affects the body.

How to do well in Physical Education

Practice is the key to any performance.  If a student is willing to try new things, experiment and shows no fear of failure, they will find that by trial and error their performances will improve.  The more they practise their skills in lessons, the more they rehearse their techniques, and the more they revise their theory, the better they will become.

Back to Top