Key Stage 3 Mathematics
The teaching programme for Year 7 is organised into five strands, linked to the National Curriculum programmes of study for Mathematics at KS3. The five strands are: Number, Algebra, Ratio and Proportion, Geometry and Measures and Statistics. During Year 7, a larger proportion of curriculum time is dedicated to ensuring all students are at the required level of numeracy to be successful in Mathematics. The students are set according to ability and as a result of continuous assessment, these groups may change as they develop mathematically.
The Year 8 course continues to address the five strands of Mathematical processes and applications, Number, Algebra, Geometry and Measures and Statistics. Students have an opportunity to carry out functional activities which enhance their mathematical experiences, giving relevance and meaning to concepts learnt. These problem-solving activities can be enjoyable and facilitate good independent learning.
Students will continue to build upon their knowledge of Mathematics from Years 7 and 8. They will further develop skills in Number, Algebra, Shape and Space, and Statistics. Students will be introduced to more topics covered in the GCSE curriculum in order to help with their transition into KS4. Students will sit half termly assessments to track their progress as they work towards their end of Key Stage level.
Homework will be set weekly and will consist of a variety of activities that will help to consolidate topics introduced in lessons.
- Entry into the UK Mathematics Challenge.
- KS3 and KS4 Maths clinics are provided to support students with homework and any issues they may have encountered in lessons.
- Entry into the Guildford schools maths quiz which takes place biannually.
Spiritual, Moral, Social & Cultural Development
- Students are introduced to a world of awe and wonder, through, for example the concept of infinity.
- Students examine patterns from other cultures, such as rangoli patterns, when studying symmetry and tessellation.
- Students are taught about skills in finance such as taxes and interest rates.