Key Stage 3 Mathematics
This year, the Maths department is excited to announce that Maths homework will be set through the Hegarty Maths online platform. HegartyMaths has the most detailed, rigorous, thorough and well-modelled online explanations of Maths for secondary school students. It has around 925 videos and respective quizzes covering everything from AO1 skills-based topics to the hardest A03 problem-solving questions. HegartyMaths is the best tool for your children to be able to become great independent learners and be successful in Maths.
They will be set at least 1 piece of homework per week which will also be supplemented with a MemRi task (this will start around October). Students should ensure they always:
- Watch the entire video at least once
- Copy down and clearly label the worked examples
- Do the quiz
- Show all the working out in their homework book and mark each question.
If a student does poorly in the quiz they may need to watch the video again and then have another go.
There are some useful documents on how to use the site and support your child to achieve the best they can below
- Entry into the UK Mathematics Challenge.
- KS3 and KS4 Maths clinics are provided to support students with homework and any issues they may have encountered in lessons.
- Entry into the Guildford schools maths quiz which takes place biannually.
Spiritual, Moral, Social & Cultural Development
- Students are introduced to a world of awe and wonder, through, for example the concept of infinity.
- Students examine patterns from other cultures, such as rangoli patterns, when studying symmetry and tessellation.
- Students are taught about skills in finance such as taxes and interest rates.