Latest NewsPosted on: 04/05/2021
Ex pupil Anna Raynor Selected For GB Under 17s Handball Team
Ex-pupil Anna Raynor first started to play handball at Christ's College when she was asked if she would like to join the handball team and after-school club, and represented the school in multiple district and regional finals for the school from Years 8 to10. That was the beginning of her love of the sport. She joined Guildford Sabres Handball Club and was part of the team that reached the National Finals. By joining a regional academy when she was 14, she benefitted from the extra coaching and the opportunity to compete with the best players in the region, and later also joined the GB Handball Elite Performance Academy which provided additional hours of daily training by expert coaches to help her improve her skills.
Anna is now studying at Loughborough University where she continues to play handball and has recently been selected to attend some GB camps for the U17s team. They are currently preparing for the European Handball Federation under 17 European Championships in Lithuania which will hopefully take place in August (subject to COVID). The GB team will face some tough competition in their group; Spain, North Macedonia, Lithuania, Finland and Kosovo. Anna is "very excited about the prospect of competing against these national teams - I just need to keep working hard to make sure I am selected for the actual team that goes to the championships"
There are already some other fantastic handball opportunities being offered to Anna. She could attend one of the two handball academies in Denmark for a year or perhaps join a club in Germany - which she says would be an amazing opportunity!
Congratulations to Anna for all her achievements so far and we wish her luck with her handball endeavours.
Why Play Handball?
- Handball is the most exciting, high scoring, action packed team sport that be played anywhere by anyone.
- Handball is a growing sport with more-and-more people trying it for the first time and learning how to play together
- Handball is past-paced and great for fitness, it also helps to improves skills such as throwing and jumping.
- As a team sport, it is really social and a great way of meeting new friends
- Handball is played on a 40m x 20m court, but actually like football, you only need a bit of space and a ball to play!
- Click here for to find out about the rules of handball. https://www.englandhandball.com/uploads/Try%20Handball/TryHandballHowtoplay.pdf
Christ's College run a successful handball club on
Wednesday Year 9 & 10 Handball Club 3.15pm - 4.15pm
Friday Year 7 & 8 Handball Club 3.15pm - 4.15pm
Click here to sign up https://www.christscollege.surrey.sch.uk/871/extra-curricular
You can find out more about Guildford Sabres Handball Club here http://surreyhandball.com/
England Handball - https://www.englandhandball.com/performance/players-on-the-pathway